Monday, December 05, 2005

Election platform

The conservative platform is dominating the political news these days. The other parties are having a difficult time just keeping up and responding. My favourite one so far, the can't lose, guaranteed-to-make-the-Libs-cringe-and-squirm plank is the one about cutting the GST. It's brilliant. It capitalizes on the Christmas shopping we're all doing, on which we all pay 7%; it points out the Liberals' lie in 1993 to scrap the GST; and contrary to what some Lib pundits are saying, it's a tax cut for everyone, benefitting everyone.

The other planks I've seen so far don't surprise me, of course, because I've known about the hidden agenda ever since I got my secret decoder ring, but the message has been (grudgingly, it seems) accepted in the media. This campaign already has oodles more momentum than the one in 2004 did. Let's just hope they can keep it up for another 7 weeks. With the break at Christmas, of course. (Note to ultra-hyper-sensitive Liberals: I meant to say Christmas-Hanu-Kwanzaa-Festivus....ah screw it, "240 dollars".)

Since this campaign has started, Ottawa roommates Chuck and Monte have been on fire with great writing, personal insight, and an electronic jousting match that I want to see more of. Go check them out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home