Thursday, December 15, 2005

In the campaign office

Right now I'm sitting in Rod Bruinooge's campaign office. I came here to volunteer my services, and I'm happy to do whatever I can. He has me as the reception guy right now.

Until a couple of days ago, I had never met Rod. He's a smart, articulate, yet soft-spoken man, not at all like the blustery windbag Reg we have in our riding now. Rod would be a refreshing change.

Understandably the office is not very busy right now--people are likely more focussed on Christmas and spending time with family--as I will be once my flight to the west coast leaves on Saturday morning. Oh yeah, and it's been snowing for about 2 days now so that doesn't exactly help.

The negative campaigning from the Liberals has started, albeit weak. A speech from 8 years ago? To a partisan crowd? That was meant to be (and was) humourous? Ooh, take THAT, Stephen!

2 things. First, if that's all the Liberals have, then their attacks are going to need spice. Second, and I think more importantly, what does that say about their internal polling? They only resort to attacks when the numbers don't look good. And after beer and popcorn, AdScam, HRDC, long guns, GST (in many ways), among others, it doesn't surprise me.

But remember: when in trouble, the Liberals can be as dangerous as a cornered rat. Dirty. All teeth. Rabid.

Let's hope (and I think it's the case) that Stephen Harper has something big to unleash in January, a few days before election day. Last time he didn't and look where it got him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home