Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I don't have any kids, but...

The talk about the Liberals' plan for national communist daycare enrages me; what enrages me more is the sheep who support this disaster waiting to happen.

First off, the argument about parents having no choice but to put their child into daycare is well taken. But you know why they have no choice? Because they're overtaxed! A couple where one spouse is making $50000 and the other stays at home with the child, bringing in $0, pays more tax than a couple where both work, each bringing in $25000. This isn't likely meant to be discriminatory against parents who choose to stay at home with their kids, but it is.

The Conservative plan doesn't include as much money as the Liberal plan, and that's just fine by me. Because as many have already pointed out, this reeks of HRDC and Gun Registry. $10 billion over 10 years? Ask the government of Québec how their socialized daycare program is going compared to original budget estimates.

But further to the offer of $1200 a year (for children 6 and under--admittedly they could do better than that, but wait for the end of this paragraph), the Conservatives have another ace up their sleeve--not yet announced, but it will be--tax cuts which will facilitate parents who want to stay at home with their kids instead of having Jane Q. Daycare (sexist, I know, but the vast majority of daycare workers are female) raise the child.

But further, I have no problem with people wanting to put their children in daycare. That's their choice. I personally think that the better option is to have the child raised by Mom and Dad, but that doesn't make me want to stop others from sending their kids to daycare if they so desire: call me a libertarian. (Please!) ;)

I suppose what I'm getting at is this: the individual planks of the Conservatives' child care plan are small; however, fit them together with tax reform and income splitting, and the planked floor is much sturdier than the Liberals' ever will be. (And that's assuming the Liberals would even stick to their promises--remember the abolition of the GST?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home